Thursday, January 23

Pi and E

I didn't know that you could find pi and e with infinite series! Here are the serieses! (My preciouses)

sum(n= 1 through infinity)  ( (-1)^(n+1)  *  (4 / (2n-1) ) )  = pi

sum(n= 1 through infinity)  ( 1 / (n-1)! ) = e

Isn't it weird that the sum for e has a factorial? I never made that connection before. I thought that factorials were for combinations and permutations, not logarithms, but I guess we use exponents in probability and all that. Whatever.

Here's something weird about pi and e–– they aren't really connected to any integers, at least not by simple functions. That means they're transcendental, along with––

sum(n= 1 through infinity)  (10 ^(-k!)) = 0.1100010000000000001...
e^pi
sum(n= 1 through infinity)  (10 ^(-k^2))= 0.1001000010000001000000001... (my invention!)

and all of that, yada yada yada.

Personally, I think we should use 2 times pi as opposed to plain old pi. We base absolutely nothing on the diameter, and it would make radians so much more simple.

Adios for hoy,...

Stay coolio,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment if you dare